Students will compare first-stage motors to upper-stage engines.
Guiding Questions :
- What takes up a majority of the volume of a first-stage rocket?
- Can the thrust of a rocket propelled by solid-propellant be controlled in real time?
- How is the thrust of a solid rocket motor controlled?
- What is specific impulse?
- Why are liquid propellants more efficient than solid propellants?
Performance/Literacy Tasks :
Video : Ares: A Difference Between a Rocket Motor & a Rocket Engine
Video Lesson Plan : Newton Gets Me Moving
In this lesson, students will explore motion, rockets and rocket motion while assisting Spacewoman Tess, Spaceman Rohan and Maya in their explorations.
Key: Play Video Windows Media MP4 Download